Galaxy Hope To Get Further Clarification Regarding Julian Araujo Soon


As the Galaxy ran out onto the field for Saturday’s preseason game, it was quickly evident that Julian Araujo was not with them.

It was understandable considering the week that he’s had.

Araujo was near a move to Barcelona before the close of the transfer window, but there was a “computer error”, according to Barcelona’s director of football Mateu Alemany and the final stages were met between 18-20 seconds after the deadline.

After a review, FIFA ruled Friday that the deal would not be completed.

Case closed, right? Apparently not so fast.

“Regarding Julian, Jules is, still in what I would say in a bit of limbo,” Galaxy coach Greg Vanney said following Saturday’s 2-1 preseason loss. “We haven’t gotten official documentation and we hadn’t had the official ruling …there’s parts of this discussion that still needs to be dealt with and we don’t have full clarity on all of those things.

“Right now, we’re still in a wait and see as Jules is as well and we will see how that continues to play out over the next couple of days. There still has to be some official documentation that releases the player and he comes back to us or otherwise. We need some official documentation that there’s clearance to put him back on the field and let him play again and all those things have to come through and that’s what we’re waiting on.”

Vanney said he’s not aware of an appeals process that Barcelona could take.

Araujo had been training on the side while the potential move was being discussed.

“We need clarification on his release and if he’s coming back to the club or is there a different solution that’s inside of this,” Vanney said. “We need clarification from FIFA, Barcelona as to where this thing is finally and where he is in this process. Hopefully, we will have that in a couple of days.”

Preseason action

The Galaxy lost to New York City FC 2-1 Saturday at Dignity Health Sports Park in front of a crowd of 10,580.

Javier “Chicharito Hernadez tied the game at 1-1 in the 51st minute, but NYCFC’s Johnny Denis scored the winning goal in the 83rd minute.

The Galaxy had a chance to secure a draw, but Douglas Costa’s penalty kick in the late stages of extra time, was saved by Matt Freese.

“Did I learn anything? Nothing that totally surprises me. I told the guys to work through the first half,” Vanney said. “We knew that at halftime there was going to be a rotation and back into a 4-3-3, bring Douglas back on, who is at a position where he needed to get 45 minutes, we wanted to get Dejan (Joveljic) and Javy (Chicharito Hernandez) a start and we didn’t want to push Javy for 90 (minutes).”

Damian Calhoun | Reporter Damian Calhoun is the Prep Sports Coordinator and writer for the Daily Breeze. He’s also the soccer writer for the Southern California News Group, covering Major League Soccer and occasionally the U.S. national teams.


Leave a Reply